Wednesday, February 23, 2005

FortuneCity Hosting

We often make mistakes when looking for the cheapest solution to a problem. This blog is hosted by Fortunecity (it turns out it was not the least expensive but it has proven to be the cheapest).

I would strongly advise anyone seeking a host to avoid this service. For the third time in a year my access to my files and ability to post has been hampered by their meddling. They provide no phone number, answer email request when they feel like it and are generally arbitrary and capricious with my service.

I noticed last Sunday that I could not post. I fired of some email and waited. I searched through all my email to ensure that the company had not already informed me of some problem; nothing. I fired off more email the next day and then again the next.

Finally, I received this:

!!! SECOND NOTICE !!!

As outlined in an earlier email we will begin your account migration to our new enhanced service on Sunday, February 20th. Your website and email will function normally during this time. If you have more than one domain name in your account, it is possible that they will not moved at the same time.

Hosting Accounts:

We sincerely apologize for this inconvenience, however, in order to ensure a successful migration of your website content your account will be locked. This means that you will be unable to make changes to your website from Sunday, February 20th until Saturday, February 26th.


I never received the “earlier email”, this was my first notice that my service would be interrupted for a WEEK!! For this they apologize for the inconvenience!! And to think, I pay these people for a basic service. My mistake, just don’t make the same error yourself.

If you want customer friendly hosting for your blog check out Venompages Hosting. I have had only one period of real downtime and this was a result of poor Kate being without a functioning PC. She is small enough to know you by name and respond to you needs. Also she is blogger friendly and willing to help with advice.

I you really must go with a larger company that promises 24/7 support and all that just shop around and take FortuneCity off your list (I knew better when I purchased my account but that is water under the bridge now).

Recedite, plebes! Gero rem imperialem
El Cid

No comments:

Post a Comment